Thomaston is located in Eastern Marengo County, Alabama. At the 2000 census the population was 383. The area was first settled in the early 1800s by people from Virginia and the Carolinas who migrated to the area in search of land. The community was named in 1892, and the town of Thomaston was incorporated in 1901. Thomaston has one historic district, the Thomaston Central Historic District, which encompasses the core of the town. Additionally, there are three individually listed properties on the National Register of Historic Places: the Thomaston Colored Institute, C. S. Golden House, and Patrick Farrish House.
For historical pictures of Thomaston, please visit this link (Courtesy of Bobby Pritchett).